Alternate Mandolin Tuning
Alternate tuning can be set for each mandolin string, to create tunes with cross-tuning or differently tuned double-strings. Notes for each of the 4 string-pairs can be changed. The double-strings can also be changed by making each string in a pair a differently tuned note.
- Start with a new file: File > New > Mandolin > OK.
- In Score menu > choose Instrument.
- In Module Tab > Set String Number for the appropriate tuning:
- 4 (double-strings tuned to same note)
- 7 or 8 (double-strings tuned to different notes - see Note below)
An example of a TablEdit tune with cross-tuning is My Last Days On Earth, a Monroe tune in Dm. This tune is tuned one octave low in voice, using Clef tab 8va, because the E-string can not be tuned higher than E3. Be aware that this tuning increases the tension on your mandolin!